Saturday, August 11, 2007

The World's Obsession

God, what to write about today? So many things going through my mind. College, bills, activities, hobbies. What to do or where to go next. How to sail through the hard times. How many times those hard times almost ended everything. My will to survive. My will to be myself. My will not to be intimidated or pressured into things like smoking or drinking. One comment on that thought.
From what I could tell, I was one of the few out of 120 students in my Junior and Senior class that didn't drink or smoke. Peer pressure is everywhere. But why do people feel they have to fit in? Isn't it worth standing out just to be yourself? To be true to yourself? I stood out my whole life. Half the time I wished that I fit in, and the other half grateful that I never did. To be so would've meant that I drank or smoked or bullied other kids. Why can't we be happy with who we are instead of what others think we should be? There's so much sadness, so much repression. I don't understand the need to be like everyone else. If we were meant to be the same, why were we born so different? Skin color, personalities, beliefs, ethnicities. Diversity is everywhere. We're all different, in every possible way.
So why do we feel the need to be identical to everyone else? I'm not just talking about fads or fashions or physical appearances, but on the inside as well. I wish I knew the answer to that, just so I could tell the world to stop and take a look around. Stop conforming to what's cool, or proper, or what other people tell you to do and start being true to yourself. Become what you were meant to be. Be free...

No comments: