Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I Remember

Everyone will remember the day September 11th, 2001. It is a day many people lost a family member, a friend, an acquaintance. Just like the day JFK was assassinated, no matter how many years pass, no matter how many paths they take, people will always remember what they were doing, where they were, the moment they heard that the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center had been attacked.

This is I Remember

I remember the day, the exact time when I first heard that two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center’s Twin Towers.
I remember the foreboding dream I had had the night before; that I had dismissed as an unnerving fragment of my imagination.
I remember telling myself that it wasn’t my fault; that there was nothing I could’ve done.
I remember the hot tears that poured down my face, leaving a salty taste in my mouth.
I remember the deafening silence when the loudspeaker had finished it’s screeching announcement that had left the rowdiest kids speechless, that had left them crying.
I remember the stunned, shocked expressions on every face, every mind speculating in unison.
I remember because I was one of them.
I remember.

I remember some thinking about the people in those planes.
I remember others thinking about the people in those two Towers.
I remember most thinking about their families or their friends’ families; brothers, sisters, parents; uncles, aunts, cousins; husbands, wives, and children.
But all thinking, wondering: Who survived? Who got out in time? Who was trapped? Did they even go to work today?
But most of all: Why? Why now? Why us? What did we do to deserve this?
I remember everyone stuck like prisoners within their own minds.
I remember because I was one of them.
I remember.

I remember the desperation that held us still. Frozen. Unmoving.
I remember the yellow shirts, the purple shorts, lose their color.
I remember the gym’s huge walls close in on us, the space getting smaller and smaller.
I remember because it became harder to breathe.
I remember because I was there.
I remember.

That was six years ago and still I remember.
I remember how the world seemed to stand still.
I remember how movement was forbidden; how breathing was forbidden; how speaking, sound of any kind, was forbidden.
I remember the lives lost.
I remember the bravery, the courage, the unwillingness to give up, to give in.
I remember how one plane’s passengers fought against all odds. To save lives, even when they knew their own couldn’t be saved.
I remember.

I remember the Phoenix that rose from the ashes, the remains of what used to be the Twin Towers.
I remember its fierceness, its loyalty, its resolve, and above all, its patriotism.
And most of all, I remember the consequences.
I remember the counterfeit reason, the excuse for why we went to war.
I remember the senseless deaths of those who fought for a false cause. A cause to further one man’s personal agenda.
I remember the stupidity, the ignorance, the selfishness of this man.
I remember because I’ve seen the lethal results.
I remember.

No comments: