Monday, November 5, 2007

People From My Past

It's been quite a while since my last post. Talking about my experiences or thoughts, rather. I've got enough poems up. What can I say? College is keeping me busy.
Anyways, this past week has been full of surprises. I mean loaded with them. Not all of them good, but I can't expect everything to be perfect, now can I? I mean, really... think about it. Life doesn't always turn out the way we want it to. We can try, but things still bottom out. Not all the time, of course, just... some of the time.
This morning we had a surprise visit from an old friend of my brother's. Dustin. We haven't seen him in forever. Close to four years now. I opened the door, and there he stood. I was like, "Er, Hi... Who are you?"
"C'mon, Sara," he replied with a grin. "You don't remember me?"
It took me several minutes to recognize him.
I got a question for you people out there. Why does everyone automatically expect you to recognize them? Especially when you haven't seen them in years!? This isn't the only time this has happened. A friend of mine, Jennifer showed up when I was still in grade school. She looked totally different, it was no wonder I didn't recognize her. Come to think of it, she lived in the same house that Dustin had, years before, though. Still, the same house... People who live there always seem to have their fair share of tragedies... Hmm, anyways... I'm off on a tangent. So, back on track.
Jennifer had been my friend for a long time. She had a really bad heart condition and was such a skinny little thing. When I saw her years later, I'm very happy to say she had some meat on those bones of hers! We used to play in the skimpy front yard of hers, which consisted of mainly dirt and a few pine trees. One day, I had decided I was going to climb one of them. What a stupid idea. I had gotten three feet off the ground when my foot slipped. My shirt got caught on a branch, almost ripping it in two. That same branch, with it's jagged tip, was pressing into my neck. I held on to the branch as much as I could, but I was slipping. I was ten at the time.
Suddenly I was lifted so the branch was no longer pressing into my neck and a large hand was yanking on my shirt. With a loud rip, my shirt came free of the branch and I was set down on the ground. I turned to see Jennifer's cousin, Jeremy standing next to me. I looked down at my chest and a long scratch ran from my belly button to my collarbone. And man did it burn!
I looked back at him and said weakly, "Thanks."
He smiled back at me and replied, "Just don't go climbing any more trees, okay?"
I nodded numbly and went home to change my shirt.
I still see him from time to time. He works with my brother, which is nice. I get to ask how Jennifer is every now and then when I see him.
Ah, I would type some more, but I have my Archaeology class in a few minutes.
I'll add more to this later.

No comments: