Monday, March 17, 2008

Door Wide Open--Invitation or Intrustion?

Yesterday was a day like any other--until I went to bed, that is. When I reached my room, with my kitty, Sassy, in my arms, I saw that my bedroom door was wide open. Not a crack, not a few inches, wide open. Here's the twist: I shut my door tightly every time I enter or leave my room. I make sure it's shut. I don't like having the cats in my room during the day, because I never know what trouble they're going to get into while I'm out.
By now, Sassy (my cat) is squirming and making little growling noises. I dropped her to the floor lightly and she shot inside my room, prowling every crook and cranny. When she was down scouting out the room, she sat down in front of me like, "All clear! Time to snuggle!" making me laugh. When I was all set in bed, she was prowling my room once more, and finally came to sit in the middle of it, staring at my door, ears perked forward, completely absorbed in whatever she was listening to. It took quite a bit of cajoling for her to leave her post and come and lay on my chest--like she loves to do.

Until I fell asleep and no longer could see her, she stared at the middle of my room, ears perked up, eyes thinned into slits. Once or twice she growled softly, as if warning something--or someone--to stay away (or get out.) I've learned to trust her instincts. Animals sense and see things us humans can't. Even with my... abilities... there are some things I can't sense, and more importantly, that I likely wouldn't want to.

But, I couldn't help but wonder, what does this mean?

No comments: